"This call will be recorded for quality assurance." How many times have you heard that before? I'll tell you I've heard it more than I'd like to remember. Normally when you're hearing that recording you’ve just been on endless hold and the reason you're calling is likely not a pleasant one. You’re either trying to make a payment, bring a cost down, dispute a charge or get something fixed.
A run-in I had this week with a phone customer service person was so excruciating, so endless, looping and stupid, it got me thinking... does anyone really listen to those recordings? Ever? One clever colleague of mine reported recently on Facebook she was working to get her cable costs down. She told the tale of how she actually challenged the company to listen to the recordings from her calls on 2 different dates when she received 2 conflicting price quotes for the same exact service. She had taken copious notes and told them—“go back and listen to the tapes!” They never did, but they did give her the lower price she was originally provided. Too bad she had to go through that hassle. But unfortunately I believe we’re now all used to situations like that which happen frequently and tend to give “customer service” a bad rap.
The concept of “listening to the tapes” is probably a good one for business owners to think about. Listen to the tapes. Listen to the recording. Really listen. Are your customers being serviced the way you intended when you first started your business? Do you really hear what your valued employee is saying when they mention a problem or concern that's happening internally or externally? Have you actually "quality assured" your company's work recently? If not, then now’s the time to go for it because quality breeds quality. If everything your company does is looked at the through the lens of highest quality, I can assure you you'll attract the best, most loyal clients and the highest caliber talent to work for you. I bet you'll also be fulfilling a promise you made to yourself and everyone you knew when your company was its early stages…providing the highest quality workplace, product or service.

Southwest Airlines must be doing something right. A customer service lady I talked to recently (Anne) seemed genuinely concerned, involved, patient, came up with ideas...to such an extent that I asked if SWA employees were specially selected for personality. She said yes, and that they were reminded that you can "hear a smile over the phone." Anne told me when she is done for the day, her cheeks hurt!
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading and the comment MFG. I have always had great service from SWA.I know we shouldn't paint all customer service people with the same brush-- I've spoken with some great people over the years, in particular at credit card companies.
ReplyDelete