Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Spring Fever


I've been an extremely busy bee the last few weeks. I've been working closely with the energized new executive board of the DYC; celebrating family member birthdays; hosting my fantastic bookclub (hi ladies!); checking out a boxing fitness class (yes, I know nuts!) and importantly-- starting some very exciting projects with a few new clients. One of those is writing about health issues for a booming company called Chiro One Wellness Centers.

I've been digging into all types of health-related conditions and my close friends and family think I'm perfectly suited for this work because they like to call me a "cyberchondriac." To explain, for the last many years I have always been one to spend hours researching health issues and concerns on websites like WebMD for myself and family members. It all started when I was trying to get pregnant for the first time about 13 years ago. It continued when I was on several months of  bed rest, pregnant with twins. You can't blame me there, can you?

There was certainly some good information online about health issues at that time, but nothing compared to the wealth of information that's available today. But of course too much information, especially out of context can be a bad thing. As a veteran cyberchondriac I caution you to concentrate more on positive health research and not to dwell on all the scary stuff that's out there. When you're seriously worried about a health issue the only route is to pick up the phone and call your doctor and a close friend or family member to talk it through.

Spring is upon us (I can tell by our backyard ice rink, which is turning into a moldy pond) and this means a lot more outdoor time for those of us who've been living with snow and winter weather. Its the perfect time to get more proactive about our health. I for one can't wait to hear the crack of the bats at little league; take Louie on long walks and join my family on some bike rides. I hope you'll be doing similar things soon too. Good health is an ultimate, precious gift.


No comments:

Post a Comment