It’s hard for me to fathom, but I’ve reached the stage of parenting where I have to monitor my “tween’s” social media account. Social Media monitoring is a pretty new parenting task. It's like the modern version of reading your child’s diary or regularly finding and reading the kooky notes he or she passes back and forth to friends in class. Right around his eleventh birthday, our son asked if he could get an Instagram account.
About Instagram
For those not totally familiar with the site, Instagram is a photo-based social media network that allows members to creatively edit and share their own pictures and other visual content. It’s wildly popular-- it only launched in 2010 now boasts a 100 million user base.Their terms of use include an age requirement of 13 years or older, restrictions against posting violent, nude, partially nude or sexually suggestive photographs plus responsibility for one's account and all activity conducted with it.
When my son asked if he could have an account, I hedged and said I’d think about it. A few weeks later he basically took over the account I had set up for myself on my phone while we were hanging out in-between his hockey games. This is how he was able to get around the minimum age requirement, which I wasn’t aware of until I started researching for this post.
Why Allow a Tween to Have an Instagram Account?
I determined that I didn’t want to stop progress and hinder my son from exploring social media, when obviously it will be a viable force during his teenage years and adulthood. I feel like allowing him to have a well-monitored account now gives me the chance to influence how he virtually behaves and what he posts, i.e. how he presents himself in the future to the forever-after digital world.
I allowed him to start using Instagram after laying down some basic ground rules. Over the last few weeks I’ve had a chance to view what my son and his friends are posting and I have to say that the process has brought up a lot emotions for me.
The Rollercoaster Ride
- First, I’ve felt frustrated. What a time suck it is scrolling through his account to look at the goofy things these tweens post!
- Second, I’ve felt intrigued and even delighted to see how creative my son and cronies can be with what they choose to post and how they comment.
- This morning I felt a little ill. Most of what his friends are posting include pictures of Spongebob, Chicago Blackhawks tributes, animals playing soccer and close ups of their faces displaying various emotions ranging from elation to fierceness. But a few of the posts have included swear words, gangster-type slang and this morning—one of his friends posted a very pointed, sexual joke in the form of an old-fashioned looking cartoon (compliments of someecards.com).
This led me
to a specific discussion with my son about why I had “un-followed” this friend
on his behalf and spurred me to write my own ground rules for his social
media activity. I think every parent should set social media rules that give
them some level of comfort. Of course that means everyone's will be a bit different.
By setting some boundaries (and by him pushing them) my hope is that my son and I will have on-going discussions about what's happening on social media and in his real social life as he ventures forth into junior high and high school.
I’m flying by the seat of my pants here, but tomorrow I'll post the Tween Social Media Rules I've drafted for my family. I'm sure they'll evolve over the next few months (weeks?) and years but I figured I'd have a go at it. Check back tomorrow and let me know...what have I left out? What should I modify? I'll be very interested in your feedback!
By setting some boundaries (and by him pushing them) my hope is that my son and I will have on-going discussions about what's happening on social media and in his real social life as he ventures forth into junior high and high school.
I’m flying by the seat of my pants here, but tomorrow I'll post the Tween Social Media Rules I've drafted for my family. I'm sure they'll evolve over the next few months (weeks?) and years but I figured I'd have a go at it. Check back tomorrow and let me know...what have I left out? What should I modify? I'll be very interested in your feedback!
Looking forward to using yours as a foundation for when I will be in your shoes in a year or so. I'm not looking forward to this either! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThanks Rach! Isn't hard to believe the boys are reaching this stage? I miss the toddler/matching PJs age. But watching them mature and deal with challenges is such a blessing too.
ReplyDelete