One of my favorite online columns is a regular feature on Maria Shriver's website. It's called "How I Did It."
Reading these stories from women business owners, both large and small is very inspirational. A few of the articles have even spurred me to take action (like directly contacting the author to network/discuss business opportunities) and they definitely help me reaffirm my in-progress work philosophy of "do what you love & be sure you like who you're doing it with."
A re-occurring theme that I see again and again is the integration of our work lives and personal lives. Technology has made this inevitable over the last few years (much to some people's dismay) but I've really been doing it for more than ten, with one year-and-a-half break in time when I worked for a very large company.
I'm definitely back in the integration mode now. I have clients who are friends, neighbors and acquaintances. I also have "strictly business" clients, but I strive to get to know them a little on a personal level as we work together on creative communication efforts and I let them get to know me too. It brings so much more respect and texture to a business relationship.
I've decided very definitively over the last year to only work for and with people I admire and those who have the respect of the key people around them. I know this may seem like a luxury, but it's one I hope I can retain throughout my work life.
In this week's "How I Did It" one of the things Jessica Herrin, Founder & CEO of Stella & Dot says about her management style is this,
"If you don't allow people to live their best life they'll opt out, and you'll lose their talent for good."
I really love this business philosophy. I know firsthand how powerful and effective it can be when it's truly followed by management in today's 24/7 accessible world. People will work hard for you, even during their "personal time," if you give them true flexibility and respect, not just lip service.
If you want to work for yourself, make a job change or gain a different perspective on how to run your business, take a few minutes to read some of the "How I Did It" pieces.
If you follow Maria Shriver on Facebook, they are linked to on a regular basis.
Time for me to get back to more work for clients I really like working for. Yes!
No comments:
Post a Comment