Monday, January 7, 2013
What's Your Story?
During this holiday season I've been privileged enough to listen to a lot of people's stories. I haven't felt like sharing my own as much as usual so I've been trying to do more listening. I've heard funny stories, tales of wisdom, stories of heartbreak, longing, hilarity and even a little witchcraft. These stories, along with a business narrative I have been writing for a client, have pushed me to reflect on just how much impact stories shape lives, livelihoods, companies, groups and family dynamics. I have also noticed how contagious another person's story can be and how over time, another person's story can even merge into being one's own.
It really does not matter if the storyline is fact or fiction, if you believe it to be true, tell it out loud and ruminate on it enough in your mind, it becomes its own reality. I have tales in my head that I've referred to and turned over so many times that I have been sure they are actual. But lately I've had the time and brain space to probe deeper and question some my personal and professional stories from a different perspective. I am realizing that perhaps I can freshen up my material, give my past and future plots a few new twists and turns.
What is the story of your life, your business or organization? Have you been telling the same ones over and over again? Perhaps writing them down, then looking at them from a different angle or sharing them with someone new might give you a new take. Writing up a few new storylines couldn't hurt either... they will serve as aspirations for the New Year.
Labels:
reinvention,
resolutions
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment