Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Bounce Back

Why is it, when no one is around and you fall down supremely hard -- it feels so good to just lay there for a minute or two and really soak in the trauma your body just took? This frigid winter morning I have been pondering this exact question after slipping, falling and wacking multiple body parts while on skates, shoveling our outdoor ice rink. (Ah, who said self-employment doesn't have perks?) Is feeling sorry for one's self a natural human condition that some are more apt to feel than others? Is it truly one of those natural reflexes that is almost impossible to avoid?

I tend to believe it is, but the greatest people, athletes, thinkers and business leaders of the world definitely have above average bounce-back reflexes. When these entities stumble, they may lie still for a minute but then they quickly get up off the cold, hard ground; dust themselves off and adapt, grow, innovate or disrupt the situation they are in. I recently read about a few great examples-- one is no surprise, the little engine that could called Yahoo but the other is an organization I hadn't really thought of as a disruptor before-- the Library. http://blog.mindjet.com/2013/01/disruption-in-2013/


The business of life is as unpredictable, rough and slippery as a backyard, amateur ice rink. But it can also be serene, enjoyable or exhilarating. It depends on the day, the others skating on the ice with you and of course the elements that are out of your control. But as much as I am enjoying this metaphor today-- time to get back to work (with a mug of hot chocolate.)




No comments:

Post a Comment