Friday, February 1, 2013

Come Together?

I am trying to listen to the universe and my own thoughts more lately.  I know that sounds really Oprah-y but she really drove this message into my brain more than any other influencer of my generation. When fate, the universe, God or whatever you want to call it shows you something-- really listen to it, believe it.  

One of the things I am listening for and trying to learn more about is a really big question. It's the "who am I?" question. Because honestly I am starting to think I've been living life more like 2 or 3 people instead of one. And hey now-- that's just not efficient.  It's also rather exhausting some days.  I am realizing during this search for new work that I need to pay attention to all my different facets. I am finally starting to figure out that the key to more life fulfillment just may lie in bringing these facets together more. 

What I can't figure out is just how far I should take this idea. I know intellectually that complete work/life integration is definitely not necessary.  There are millions of successful people out there who take great care to separate their work lives from their personal lives from their spiritual lives. They do this because they have to or they want to, or both. But I bet they have made their decisions with intention, they haven't just muddled along trying to juggle these different portions of their lives indiscriminately.  There just isn't enough time in the day, the week, the month or the year to do it without making deliberate decisions and sticking with them.

The people whom I like to read and know and learn from on a regular basis seem to bring a lot of their "stuff" all together. Their political views, their altruism, their client successes, their kids' triumphs, their worries and their opinions. People like Glennon Melton Doyle at www.momastery.com, writer and old classmate Molly Logan Anderson www.grabthegood.com;  social media guru/futurist Geoffrey Colon https://twitter.com/djgeoffe and my former workmate and friend Jason Burnham http://www.digitalsphinx.com. These people aren't celebrities--- they don't need to build public personas to make a living.  They are writers, thinkers, learners, travelers, business people, friends, parents, children.

Hmmm, sounds a lot like how I might describe myself. The past few weeks I have been giving myself time to clear my head (it's an overused figure of speech but apt.) After 10 years of juggling just about everything life could throw at me (close family member deaths, childbirth and child raising, very challenging work, marriage, health scares, home ownership, etc.)  I feel a little bit like I do in summer, sitting on a pool deck when the clouds are covering the sun yet the clouds are starting to move.  I know if I just be patient, relax for a little a while longer...eh, maybe even 20 or 30 more minutes longer, the clouds are going to move on. And when they do I will be much more content, able to enjoy clearer skies and the warm sun on my face.   

No comments:

Post a Comment