Today is my birthday.
42 Skidoo! Hmmm… it just doesn’t have the same ring to it as 22 Skidoo,
which to give credit where credit is due is actually a phrase my oldest sister
made up when she was 22 years old.
22 was a special time in my life-- I believe I even savored
it when I was in it. I was living on my own in the city, making new friends and
making my way. I was discovering my career and discovering myself. I was broke,
but not in debt. I was seriously dating, but not married. I was young but not a
kid anymore. Some days I still feel like I’m 22, other days I feel my real age and then some. I’ve been doing a bit of self-reflection over the last few weeks and I've even taken (wasted) the time to dish out my major middle-age complaints to my sisters and best friends (you know the ones-- too much grey hair, ugh to my ever-expanding waistline, the feeling of shock when I look in the mirror or see my photo).
But now, I’m turning the corner and I’ve decided I’m going
with the attitude of “Yes, I’m getting older, good for me. It sure beats the
alternative.” I doubt I’ll be the type who embraces every wrinkle and age spot (or kinky white hair!) but as time
marches on I’m not going to pretend to be younger than I am or ashamed of aging.
That’s just a disservice to myself and all the “old” folks in my life.
This past 12 months have been quite interesting for me and
my husband. We’ve experienced some very typical middle-age challenges with job
issues and health concerns. We’ve had
the chance to make changes in our life together and I am alternately
thrilled and freaked out about just how swiftly our world can be rocked while simultaneously
our responsibilities keep growing.When I was 22, I think I would’ve recognized and happily accepted my 42 year-old self and not be too surprised at where I am and what I’m doing right now. But I know for sure she wouldn’t have any inkling of what it took to get here.
As I age I like acknowledging the things I really love, even
trivial things. One of those things I love doing is making lists. No one can do it like one
of my journalistic idols, Chicago Tribune’s Mary Schmich, or "The Happiness Project's" Gretchen Rubin, but for fun here’s a few
things I’ve learned over the last 20 years.
·
Career changes happen for a reason. Look at them
positively and move forward.
·
If you have them and you can possibly do it, love
and cherish your parents and siblings when they are with you here on earth.
·
Always back-up your computer. Yes we have the
Cloud and technology gets better every year, but why chance it?
·
Reading
makes life better.
·
Capture
life’s moments in real time, not taking pictures you may not have time to
sort/organize/review later.
·
If all
feels hopeless, get some sleep. Immediately.
·
Coffee is
the be-all, end-all elixir when it comes to productivity or coping with 3-7PM
during young motherhood.
·
Friends
can be just as important as family. Never worry about this and always be open
to making new ones.
·
Keep
riding your bike. It’s a life-long exercise that delivers freedom and happiness.
·
Be
authentic at work, it makes it so much more bearable and less complicated.
·
If I am
healthy and my family is healthy, I am truly blessed.
Enjoy your day today. I know I am bound and determined to do the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment